Omicron, Tsitsipas and cryptocurrency Dogecoin have made it on to a listing of the yr’s most mispronounced phrases.
The US Captioning Firm – which produces subtitles for dwell TV – surveyed its members to provide a rundown of the phrases that tv presenters and newsreaders have been getting woefully improper.
The listing is now in its sixth yr and was commissioned by Babbel, a language-learning platform with headquarters in Berlin and New York.
“Newscasters within the US have struggled with 2021′s new phrases and names whereas reporting on key sporting occasions, viral web tendencies and rising celebrities,” mentioned Esteban Touma, a humorist and trainer for Babbel Dwell.
This is learn how to get your mouth round among the most difficult phrases – and what they imply.
– Cheugy (CHOO-gee): A Era Z time period to mock outdated and retro issues, or somebody who’s attempting too laborious, and is usually used to poke enjoyable at Millennials.
– Chipotle (chih-POHT-lay): The US quick meals chain began a viral development this yr by difficult folks to pronounce the identify.
– Dalgona (tal-goh-NAH): A Korean deal with made with melted sugar and baking soda, as seen in hit present Squid Recreation.
– Dogecoin (DOHJ-coin): Regardless of having a picture of a canine as its emblem, the cryptocurrency’s identify is not so easy.
– Eilish (EYE-lish): She could also be one of many world’s greatest stars, however Billie Eilish’s identify remains to be inflicting an issue for some TV presenters.
– Ethereum (ih-THEE-ree-um): One other cryptocurrency with one other difficult identify.
– Glasgow (GLAHZ-go): This will likely appear a wierd one, however the COP26 host metropolis could also be a problem for some exterior the UK, with President Biden and Barack Obama apparently struggling to say it appropriately.
– Kelce (KELs): NFL participant Jason Kelce of the Philadelphia Eagles mentioned this yr that his teammates and the media had been mispronouncing his identify for years.
– Omicron (AH-muh-kraan / OH-mee-kraan): A brand new variant of COVID-19 first recognized in November, named in line with the World Well being Organisation’s system of figuring out variants with Greek letters. (The pressure is pronounced in another way within the US and the UK).
– Shein (SHEE-in): A preferred Chinese language “quick vogue” firm.
– Stefanos Tsitsipas (STEH-fuh-nohs TSEE-tsee-pas): The Greek tennis participant, ranked fourth on the earth, is among the recreation’s brightest younger stars and reached the French Open closing in June.
– Yassify (YEAH-sih-fai): A development through which a number of magnificence filters are utilized to well-known photos or portraits for comedian impact.